What you will need
• A reliable internet service.
• A device with a large screen with an inbuilt camera and microphone (i.e. a laptop or tablet). Zoom advises that whilst phones work, joining online ‘meetings’ (i.e. yoga classes) using a phone may be problematic at present due to the huge surge in online activity by many industries and workplaces.
• Yoga Props. This is not the full kit that we use at the studio but at the very minimum you will need:
A mat, 2 blankets, 2 blocks and 1 belt.
Ideally you will also have a bolster, 2 shoulder-stand pads and a chair (it doesn’t have to be a Yoga chair, any kitchen variety will do). Feel free to improvise with household items (i.e. other blankets cushions etc). We will start teaching classes with minimum props to accommodate those who do not have a full prop kit.
YYC students can receive a 10% discount when purchasing from prop supplier iYogaprops using the discount code YYC.
• A clear space to practise free of clutter – consider this an opportunity to tidy up or rearrange the furniture! If you have a spare unfurnished wall and a door frame nearby that would be good.
What you need to do
• Download the Zoom app on the device you will be using and create a Zoom account. You will not need to purchase any Zoom plans. Zoom is already paid for by the host, which is Yarraville Yoga Centre.
Please use your first and last name as your Zoom name, so that teachers can easily see who is dialing in, especially if your video is not activated.
• Create an account in the new online booking system, and then purchase a pass. You can then book into the classes you wish to attend and the Zoom link details will be automatically emailed to you, usually up to 48 hours in advance.
To join your class you can either:
• click on the URL link in the email you receive, which will take you directly to the Zoom online class.
• open the Zoom app, click ‘Join Meeting’ and enter the Meeting ID number. The Meeting ID number will be in the email we sent you.
You will be given options to test your microphone and speaker. Go to the ‘meeting’. You will be allowed into a ‘waiting room’ where you wait for the meeting to start.
• Zoom has a number of helpful tutorials to help you get started https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Meeting
• Please do not copy or record our classes We are not making recorded copies. We ask you to respect out intellectual property rights and not record our classes in any way.
Online class etiquette
• Mute / Unmute – YYC will commence the classes with the participants ‘Unmuted’ – this means that you can talk to us and ask questions at the beginning of class. Please minimise background noise in your practice space during class. Once we get started the teacher will ‘Mute’ participants to further minimise background noise. If, during class, you need to ask a question, you can ‘Unmute’ yourself and then ‘Mute’ yourself again once your question has been answered.
• Please be patient – We are all navigating new territory and trying the best we can to ensure that you can still do quality yoga during this time. Initially, there will probably be glitches. The internet service might drop out, Zoom might crash if overloaded or the teacher might even push the wrong button!!! If the class drops out, just wait, check your emails and we will try and get it up and running again.